Date:      Tue, 15 May 2001 00:54:31 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nfs mounts / su / yp

On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 12:21:24AM +0200, Dominic Parry wrote:

> Just a thought, you could in your bios set  password and then boot only of
> the hdd. That way no one could boot of a stiffy etc.

Yes, they could. Assuming they can open the case they could either reset
the BIOS password (almost all mobo have some jumper or similar that can
be used to reset the password), or they could just connect their own hdd
and boot from that.

It is quite a bit more work and would probably stop those who are merely
driven by idle curiosity.

Stopping a determined and knowledgeable person who have physical access
to the computer from getting root access ranges from difficult to nearly
impossible.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson