Date:      Tue, 21 Oct 2003 17:38:39 -0400
From:      Marshall Heartley <heartley@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Need some insight on error messages that I am getting.

Hello list,

I have decided to give FreeBSD a try but I am having a issue that I need
help with.  I apologize for the length of the email.  I just want to
ensure that I give enough information to see if anyone can help.

Well I am running FreeBSD 4.8.  It (FreeBSD) is installed on the second
hdd on my system.  Which is ad1.  The first drive ad0 has windows and
SuSE linux on it.  I have been able to get FreeBSD to boot and it seems
to work properly.  But when I try and copy a file from a CD to the
FreeBSD drive, I get some error messages.

Below is the procedure that I used to try and copy the file and the
error messages that come with it.

# mount /cdrom
(system tells me that the cd is mounted with Rock Ridge extensions)
# cp /cdrom/some-file ~

(And now the messages)
ad1: WRITE command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
ata0: resetting devices -- done

This one repeats for about 5 times.

Then this one occurs.

ad1: removed from configuration done
handle_workitem_freeblocks: block count

>From here on out, I cannot control the system and have to do a hard
reboot :(

This is with a 75M file that I am trying to transfer over.

After the reboot, I try with a smaller file.  It will transfer but will
give at least one of the ad1: WRITE messages.  I tried the above file
again and I was greeted with the WRITE errors but it finally completed.

Judging by the error messages, the system is telling me that there is a
problem with the drive.  Well I shutdown the system and looked again at
the jumpers on the drives.  They are set correctly.  Next I go out to
the net and get a diagnostic utility for the hard drive and run it on
the drive.  It passed with flying colors.  I even reinstalled FreeBSD
and even installed the 5.1 to see if the same thing occurs and it does.

Does anyone have a clue what might be going on here?  Any help will be
appreciated!

I noticed when I install FreeBSD that it somehow changed how the drive
is seen in BIOS.  Before installation with the drive wiped clean it
shows up as a LBA drive.  After installation, it shows up as a CHS
drive.  During the probes that occur when installing, I see that it sees
2 "c" drives and 2 "d" drives.  Is this normal??

Again thanks for the help!

--
Marshall

"Nothing is impossible, we just do not have all the answers to make the
impossible, possible."