Date:      Tue, 23 Jun 1998 17:14:23 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Release schedule for 2.2.7

> As an example (probably close to the worst case): mxv-1.10 itself
> needs about 780k of disk space.  Its pre-requisite is iv-3.1 - another
> 7152k.  How do we tell the user that if he doesn't need InterViews for
> other reasons, mxv is 8M (which he may think is excessive), whereas
> if he needs InterViews anyway, mxv is <800k?

Yep, that's all stuff that needs to work obviously.  You also would
need to change the package menu so that in addition to doing space
check callbacks, you *also* went and selected any of the depended
packages which might be displayed in the same menu so the user doesn't
erroneously go select them again (and for obvious visual feedback
reasons).

If I had to do it over, I'd probably just re-implement the package
creation/deletion menu code currently in /usr/src/release/sysinstall/index.c
with all the currently desired features in mind.  The package
front-end stuff is at least well-confined to there, the stuff in
package.c being generic support code for any type of front-end.  But
I'm not the one doing it, so details of the implementation are up to
whomever does. :)

> (excluding pre-requisites) before the ports directory, and a new line be
> added which displays total free space in /usr, total selected packages

That could be done, since /usr (or whatever's mounted on /usr/local
and /usr/X11R6) should be statfs()'able by the time the package
selection code is run.  Probably wouldn't even be that much work.
But see above. :)

- Jordan