Date:      Sun, 21 Nov 1999 12:21:16 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCI DMA lockups in 3.2 (3.3 maybe?)

> At 09:15 PM 11/20/99 -0800, Mike Smith wrote:
> >> I'll test this in 3.3 shortly...has anything been done in this area? It
> >> seems to happen on passive backplace systems (although its more likely the
> >> chipsets used on SBCs)...my acer MB doesnt lock up with the same test. This
> >> problem has been duplicated on more than 1 system with completely different
> >> hardware.
> >>
> >> Any ideas?
> >
> >Nope.  You haven't given anything like enough information to even guess
> >at the nature of the problem.
>
> And what additional info, short of putting a scope on the bus, may I
> provide you?

Anything that might help locating the nature of the "lockup".  A scope
on the bus would be helpful, sure.  Some idea where in the kernel the
CPU was executing would be good.  The values of cpl and ipending are
always informative.

Basically though, you're saying "I have a problem with an old version of
freebsd on some sorts of hardware.  Is it fixed?".  There's no possible
way for anyone else to answer such a totally vague question.