Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 10:00:59 -0500
From:      Dutch Collins <dutch@charm.net>
To:        Nell Colucci <ncolucci@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hardware Requirements

Nell Colucci wrote:

> Hi.  I'm a novice to Unix and am in the midst of purchasing copy of
> FreeBSD.  I want to buy a used computer to load FreeBSD and experiment/
> learn.  Budget is an issue.  What, therefore, are the minimum hardware
> requirements to run version 4.0?
>
> Thanks.

I run FreeBSD-3.2 on my home machine which has the following;

Shuttle HOT-433 486dx2-100 w/ 32mb ram (a 1994 bios)
2 IDE hard drives; 1gig and 170mb and a slow CD-ROM
5.25 and 3.5" floppy drives
Zoom 56k fax/modem -- the best for me and ppp never barfed using it.
Diamond SpeedStar 64 2mb -- fine as a X11 console, get newer video.
NEC MultiSync 3V -- a good monitor for any OS

No Sound because the windoze box makes enough noise for all three
machines, FreeBSD, Corel Linux, Windoze. Sound for the BSD box? I
may get a Sound Blaster 16 some day. My opinion is, simple is
better when sound cards are involved.

For learning this configuration has a couple of problems.
(1) It has been supported for many releases, not much is going to
    go wrong.
(2) If used as a desktop your patience will be tried if you
    use cpu hog software like I do. For example, I have KDE then
    I throw Netscape and Gimp on top of it. I am moving to a K-6
    processor for that reason. The 486-100 will become a router
    or a data server.

In short - think of the end use then select the right hardware. Go
to XFree86.org & FreeBSD.org and get a hardware list. Might want
to try this; www.google.com and a search string,
   "freebsd hardware" "xfree86 hardware"
or something like that.

-d
| Stuff n. -trappings, essence, junk, things, gear  |