Date:      Fri, 17 May 1996 14:30:04 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        reyes01@ibm.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Where are daemons started & books on system adminstration?

> I have an opportunity to showcase Freebsd at work. In other words
> I am suggesting a project to be done with FreeBSD and have got
> positive signs. One of the concerns though have been security.
>
> While I am learning user related topics at home I am going to need
> a crash course in Unix administration since at work I will have to
> manage users.
>
> The questions:
> When Freebsd boots I have noticed that it starts certain daemons. I don't
> recall which ones, but at least the ftp daemon is loaded. I need to dissable
> ftp, find out other daemons that are loaded and perhaps stop them from
> I get better acquainted with the other daemons.

Enable the IP firewall (by default, *NO* packets are allowed in), or
disable the servers in /etc/inetd.conf, which is the "superserver"
config file.  Most network servers are run on request by a fork in
the superserver, inetd.  Some exceptions are named, and sendmail
(see /etc/sysconfig and /etc/rc*).

> I would also appreciate suggestions with Unix administration books.

FAQ.  See www.freebsd.org.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---