Date:      Thu, 23 Feb 2017 10:50:07 +0100
From:      "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen@punkt.de>
To:        freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   virtio_console in bhyve? (FreeBSD host and guest)

Hi, all,

I'm trying to get guest-additions to work for FreeBSD guests in FreeNAS =
10.
FreeNAS 10 is built on top of RELENG_11 and uses the bhyve hypervisor.

Each VM is started with one virtio_console device like this:

bhyve [...] -s =
'30,virtio-console,org.freenas.vm-tools=3D/var/run/containerd/dfdbb716-789=
f-44c3-9653-2157bdb3e76e.vmtools.sock'

Yet, inside the VM guest (I tried RELENG_10_3 and RELENG_11_0):

root@icescrum:~ # kldload virtio_console                                 =
                                               =20
vtcon0: <VirtIO Console Adapter> on virtio_pci1                          =
                                    =20
vtcon0: vtcon_ctrl_process_event: invalid port ID 779313518              =
                                              =20
vtcon0: vtcon_ctrl_port_open_event: open port 0, but does not exist

Unfortunately the byhve(8) manpage does not mention virtio_console
at all and I did not find anything detailled in the wiki or with =
Internet
search.

So I simply don't know if this is a bug in the way FreeNAS uses/starts
byhve or if there is a deeper problem with the implementation in =
FreeBSD.

Any hints greatly appreciated,
Patrick
--=20
punkt.de GmbH * Kaiserallee 13a * 76133 Karlsruhe
Tel. 0721 9109 0 * Fax 0721 9109 100
info@punkt.de       http://www.punkt.de
Gf: J=C3=BCrgen Egeling      AG Mannheim 108285

Wir schaffen L=C3=B6sungen f=C3=BCr Ihre digitale Herausforderung.
Am 23.02.2017 sind wir auf der IT & Media in Frankfurt vertreten.
Wir freuen uns auf Ihren Besuch am Stand B7