Date:      Mon, 3 May 1999 12:08:09 +0930 (CST)
From:      Gregory Lewis <glewis@dartagnan.maths.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        DRCAnderson@xtra.co.nz (David Anderson)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help Please - Newbie Adding User

> >/etc/pw.0kb345 16 lines, 884 chars
> >vipw: rebuilding the data base........
>
> >Write failed file system is full.
> >/kernel: pid 350 (pwd_mkdb), vid 0 on /:file system full.
>
> This is what I get
> myname# df -ik -t pw.0kb345
>
> Filesystem    1kblocks Used   Avail  Cap    iuse   ifree %used mount
> /dev/wd0s1a  19815    10511 -1281 107% 1068 3986 21%    /
>
> I dont understand the relevance?

The relevance is your / partition is full.  The new password database
can't be correctly written as you haven't any free space on the partition
where its going.

> I have spent a few hours since the last posting. My main line of
> thought is that with pwd_mkdb I'm dealing with a number of
> pw.xxx files that are hash referenced.
>
> >From Greg Leheys book
> "The list of users is kept in file /etc/passwd....FreeBSD keeps the
> real
> information in a file called /etc/master.passwd and for performance
> reasons also makes it available in database form in /etc/pwd.db and
> /etc/sdwd.db"
>
> so when I get
> >Write failed file system is full.
> >/kernel: pid 350 (pwd_mkdb), vid 0 on /:file system full.
>
> Is it the file itself or the database files being referred to?
>
> Come to think of it - where do the pw.xxxxxx files fit into this
> description?

They are temporary files created by vipw while you are editing the password
file.

> As some backgroung info - I first tried to add user by going through
> /stand/sysinstall menu method. The user did not appear in the file
> viewed using vipw. I could very well have added the extra root entry
> referred to in my last posting but do not remember doing so.

There are a number of methods for adding users, but they'll all fail until
you free up some space on /

--
Greg Lewis 				glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au
Computing Officer			+61 8 8303 3237