Date:      Tue, 18 Aug 1998 22:33:03 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        stephen@farrell.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100B network collisions

My hidden microphone recorded stephen farrell (stephen@farrell.org) saying:

% Note that full-duplex can also SLOW your network down.  I don't
% understand this, and am too looking for answers.  However, I switched
% a 100+ to full-duplex and went from 10Mbps -> 10bps transfer rates to
% a sparc/sol2.5 box on 10baseT LAN (though connections off the LAN were
% normal).  Clearly some care needs to be taken in how to configure this
% card.

Full-duplex doesn't slow your network down, bogus configurations do.
Did you set the SPARC system to full duplex also?  Does it even
support full duplex?  If not, that is where your problem lies.  Full
duplex is only of use if EVERY item in your network supports it.
Typically, this means replacing any hubs you may have with switches,
in additional to replacing any network interfaces that don't support
it.