Date:      Thu, 06 Jan 2000 16:14:36 -0800
From:      Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
To:        Christian Kuhtz <ck@arch.bellsouth.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 4.0 code freeze scheduled for Jan 15th

>>> time as other OS's make new releases *with* IPv6/IPSec.  You work it out
>>> whether or not FreeBSD will win or lose from those two being there or not
>>> there.
>> what if the choice is
>>   o release at the same time with lots-o-features but not all of v6
>>   o release _considerably later_ with all of v6, well most of it?
>> where's your competitive advanatge in the latter?
> Give me a break.
> Take a look at http://www.ipv6forum.org and ask yourself whether this is
> just somebody's science project.

give whom a break?

take a look at <http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/wg-dir.html>, and you
will see that i am the ietf area director for ngtrans, i.e. one of those
responsible for the ipv6 transition.

now read my question again.  there will always be new releases of freebsd,
we hope.  if v6 is not completely ready for this one, then delaying for any
considerable time will not help you compete today in the ipv6 game.

my point is that we can only wait politely and appreciatively for the kame
folk to continue their work to a point where it is more fully rounded.
until then, we should not forget that other features are also driving the
4.0 release train.

now laptoy support on the other hand ....

randy