Date:      Thu, 16 Oct 1997 12:09:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cannot mount /

Over the last few weeks, I've seen a bunch of responses
on this.  Last summer, I attempted to get W95 and
FreeBSD working under similar conditions, and ended
up by:

A) Leaving a dedicated W'95 EIDE disk
      as the master drive on the primary EIDE controller,
      modifying the MBR and installing booteasy
B) Adding a second EIDE disk for FreeBSD -
   ** as the slave drive on the primary EIDE controller **
      partitioning the usual way, and modifying the MBR
      and installing booteasy

This last, that is, adding the FreeBSD disk as the *slave
drive on the primary controller*, turned out to be the
only way I could get the booteasy loader to work.  I never
could get it to boot off the secondary controller, which
also now happens to have an ATAPI CDROM on it, which I moved
from the primary EIDE to the secondary EIDE.  I tried several
permutations and combinations of kernels compiled with
"config kernel root on wd[0-2], moving drives around, etc.,
and finally got it to work as above.  YMMV, but, for some reason,
I found that the root partition had to live on a drive
on the primary controller, in which case it worked perfectly.
In no case did it appear to work with the root partition on
the secondary controller.  [I'm sure it was operator error,
but, there seems to be something inconsistent about the way
the numeral "1" is used as a controller number between the
BIOS and the OS.  Oh, and another thing: I use CHS addressing
on the FreeBSD disks, not LBA, and, I set it that way in the BIOS.
Works just fine, even though some of the documentation steers
you to LBA.  I've had various troubles with LBA, and now only
use it for W95.  As I said, YMMV.]

Of course, everything works just perfectly on a more recent
system with only a single SCSI disk on it partitioned for FreeBSD.

Award BIOSes, BTW.

> From: Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
> Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 10:24:06 -0700 (PDT)
> Subject: Re: Cannot mount /
>
> On Thu, 16 Oct 1997, Aled Treharne wrote:
>
> > I have recently installed FBSD on my home machine following several
> > succesfull experiences in the University. The machine is an AMD 486DX2-66
> > with 24Mb RAM, 3Com 3C509 TPO and ESS1868 Audio Drive sounds card - both
> > on the Plug'n'Pray, ATAPI 20speed CDROM on the EIDE controller on the
> > sound card, and 2 hard disks - 2.1G Fujitsu (Master) and 1.2G (Slave). I
> > have windoze 95 on the fujitsu and FBSD has the other to itself, though

> What is your drive layout on the IDE controllers?  I'm assuming it's
> something like this...
>
> PRIMARY IDE CONTROLLER
> MASTER: 2.1GB Fujitsu : Windows 95
> SLAVE: 1.2GB Unknown  : FreeBSD

I'm only sending this as "a public service".  People shouldn't
need to waste time [their own, or, wizard's time] or get
discouraged by things as simple as these.

-Hugh LaMaster