Date:      Sun, 29 Dec 1996 17:47:05 +0100 (MET)
From:      Wolfgang Helbig <wh@helbig.informatik.ba-stuttgart.de>
To:        nadav@cs.technion.ac.il
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re : FreeBSD gets stuck while copying installation files

Hi,

On Friday, 14 Jun 1996, Nadav Eiron wrote about a FreeBSD box
getting stuck while copying between two IDE-Channels. (i. e. CDROM
on wdc0 and /usr mounted on wdc1). I experienced the same difficulties.
It seems that any concurrent uses of both ide controllers leads to
a stopp of the system. This happens with GENERIC kernel 2.1.5, 2.2-Alpha
and -current (of yesterday).
And it happens with two disks or with disk and CDROM. All configurations
work just fine, (booting and probing the hardware gets to the expected
results), the problem starts when you start copying from CDROM on one
ide channel to the disk on the other channel during installation, or
when you copy from a disk on one channel to a disk on the other channel.

Maybe the cause is the PCI-Dual-Ide-controller chip?
On my motherboard the CMD PCI0640B chip is working.

If anyone has similar experiences I would like to get a note on the
mailing list.

Thank You
Wolfgang Helbig