Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2007 13:48:28 -0700
From:      "Steve Franks" <stevefranks@ieee.org>
To:        "User Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   how to compile and install a new driver

Hi,

I found this thread
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2006-August/027445.html
to a driver I need for my system.

(1) The file extension
(http://www.dons.net.au/~darius/ucp-0.01.diff.gz) is .diff, not .c, so
what exactly do I do with it to compile it?

(2) Assuming I can get it to compile, which I've never done, what do I
do with the object/driver file?

This driver is long overdue, the part has been in usb devices for
several years, and support is in OpenBSD and Linux already (so I'm
told by google).  I'll happily document the process if someone holds
my hand.  Oh, and as I'm a hardware engineer, I have at least 6
working (tested with win32 boxes) examples of the actual part to test
with - I'll know if the driver is functional immediately.  Google
found no mention of it, other than the given sites, so I assume it's
not being incorporated into 7-release.

Thanks,
Steve