Date:      Wed, 11 Feb 2015 15:27:25 -0500
From:      Brandon Allbery <allbery.b@gmail.com>
To:        Chris H <bsd-lists@bsdforge.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD STABLE <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: nfe0: watchdog timeout

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 3:21 PM, Chris H <bsd-lists@bsdforge.com> wrote:

> > Seeing that after a power outage, I'd be testing the NIC in another
> machine
> > or etc.
> Thanks for the reply, Brandon.
> That's a no op. It's an onboard NIC. So unless I get out
> the exacto knife, or de-solder it. It's not going to happen. ;)

That was why the "or etc.". I keep various OSes on USB keys for tests of
integrated devices --- if it is throwing fits in FreeBSD and it also does
so when I boot from a Linux live key, it's a good bet that there's hardware
issues.

And yes, fully removing power can also help --- often power coming back on
is far from clean (may start with an undervoltage or a series of brief
"pulses" of power before coming on for real), and integrated devices often
get some amount of power even when the machine is "off". (This was also
included in "or etc."; there's a number of "standard" things worth trying
when a hardware-related failure follows a power event.)

allbery.b@gmail.com                                  ballbery@sinenomine.net