Date:      Tue, 30 Apr 2002 11:07:34 -0700
From:      John Clark <j1clark@ucsd.edu>
To:        newbie@XFree86.Org
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>, XFree86 FreeBSD LIST <FreeBsd-XFree86@Lists.CSociety.Org>
Subject:   Re: [Newbie]/mnt/usr/X11R6/lib/Server/drivers/vga256/ati/*

Am Donnerstag den, 25. April 2002, um 22:44, schrieb Peter Leftwich:

> Okay, you'll be quite proud of me - I took 13 minutes and in a swirl of
> mixed pleasure (relief) and pain and despair, learned that my video
> adapter
> (supposedly Rage 128 based; it's an ATI All-in-Wonder 16mb AGP card) is
> -not- supported by the ati driver, even though the running of `XFree86
> -configure` happily picks this driver out every time and packages it
> with a
> pink ribbon!  >:-(

Yes, well, basically I would go to:

http://www.xfree86.org/current/Status.html

And check for devices, then do a yahoo search (or your favorite engine)
for some store/e-store that had such.

Alternatively you can look at:

http://www.computerhope.com/help/vati.htm

for a discription of what is an ATI card...

Since I don't have ATI cards in general, although I believe my Mac G3
has some
version of such, I don't know whether this page is really useful, but it
looked
like it could help you identify your card, or other cards which may have
support. In my PC machines I have some old Trident cards, and the support
for them has been there for a long time.

In my case of getting X up on my Compaq Presario laptop, under NetBSD
1.5.2,
earlier versions of Xserver crashed, or put the screen into wyrd melt
mode.
I now have a version 4.2.0 up, but it was not easy...