Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 2004 12:14:35 +0200
From:      "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
To:        Bruce M Simpson <bms@spc.org>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [HEADSUP] naming of tty devices.

In message <20040921100751.GD842@empiric.icir.org>, Bruce M Simpson writes:
>On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 09:38:45AM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>> Other drivers have resorted to various variations of this scheme
>> (if they were copy&pasted from sio.c) or rolled their own private
>> naming system.  In other words: it's a pretty mess right now.
>
>I've noticed the third-party software modem drivers in ports have this
>problem. I looked at what it would take if we were to rewrite them as
>uart(4) attachments and was pleasantly surprised to find it'd eliminate
>the reckless forking of sio(4).
>
>However, eliminating the naming inconsistency here can only be a good
>thing; if uart(4) can be kept in sync with these tty changes so much
>the better.

uart is one of our tty drivers and as such it will be part of this.
(That also means that uart drivers will get cua* and init/lock
functionality).

To some extent I'm not entirely sure that lumping anything uart
finds into one name-category (ttyu*) makes sense, but that is a
detail decision which can be looked at in the isolated context of
uart later.