Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 1995 12:55:29 -0400
From:      Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Update: 2.0.5 scrambled filesystems.

>    Um, well, if we knew it was *that* broken, I suppose. I don't really know
> why it is clobbering things, but a quick guess would be that it is using
> old vnodes that have been reclaimed...but I really have no idea. We've known
> that msdosfs is broken for sometime - but not in this particular way. "Oh
> well". :-)

For this who may want to work around this in the interim (until there
is a fix (;-)), I found that if I turn off LBA mode and reload
the dos partition, (with all the restrictions that implies), the
problem *does not* occur. [Perhaps the new slicing code is not
quite--emmm--robust yet?]

I would have done that sooner, but I wanted to be relatively sure
that the system would run 2.0.5 incase 	I wanted to return it to
the dealer...

Robert Withrow, Tel: +1 617 598 4480, Fax: +1 617 598 4430 Net: witr@rwwa.COM
     R.W. Withrow Associates, 319 Lynnway Suite 201, Lynn MA 01901 USA