Date:      Sun, 17 Feb 2008 10:28:10 +0100
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATA -- erratic behaviour when removing disk

Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

> Is anyone aware of the situation where FreeBSD behaves erratically when
> a disk is physically removed without "atacontrol detach ataX" being run
> prior to removal (at least on RELENG_7)?

I can confirm this behaviour on FreeBSD 6.2. It sometimes freezes or
panic when I atacontrol detach ataX and then physically remove the disk.
(disk is used in gmirror). I saw some panics on reinsertion too. The
strange is that it behaves better when disk is removed / reinserted
without detaching ata channnel by atacontrol.
(tested on Sun Fire X2100)

Miroslav Lachman