Date:      Thu, 10 Sep 1998 11:56:04 -0400
From:      Gerald Abshez <gerald@manhattanprojects.com>
To:        brian@Awfulhak.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VPN's: PPP, SSH et al...

>> Hi there,
>>
>>     I'm trying to get a VPN going with SSH and PPP.
>> More description about problem from me deleted...

>First, try to get a working tunnel as per the example in
>ppp.conf.sample.  Assuming you can do that, you should then be able
>to do it via ssh with something like:

 > set device !/etc/ppp/secure-connection

>and create /etc/ppp/secure-connection (with execute permissions):

>#! /bin/sh
>exec </dev/null >&0
>exec ssh -f -L 1234:theothermachine:theothermachinesport
theothermachine sleep 20

>theothermachine is the machine name of the peer, and
theothermachinesport is
>the port number that you used in /etc/services on the peer to listen
for the
>incoming ppp connection.

>I'm afraid I've never tried this, but it *should* work :-)

Ok, it almost works. ;-)

The "set device" line barfs in my version of user ppp; I changed it to:

    set device localhost:1234

and ran "ppp -auto tcp-client" on that machine.

Now, I have to run /etc/ppp/secure-connection by hand and the connection
works.

Two questions:

1) (A more basic PPP question) I can't see any machine other  then the
other end of
    the PPP connection. Yes, I did enable IP Forwarding. Some other
config problem that
    I might have overlooked?

2) I'd like to automate the process. My hope is to get something going
like the on-demand
    dialing function, where packets going to the remote network cause
the ppp connection to
    happen. Am I dreaming?

If I can figure this out, and do it in a nice way, I'm only more then
willing to package the whole
thing and donate it back to the project.

Thanks,
Gerald