Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 2014 14:17:38 -0400
From:      Richard Yao <ryao@gentoo.org>
To:        Ian Lepore <ian@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org>, RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com>
Subject:   Re: GSoC proposition: multiplatform UFS2 driver

On Mar 14, 2014, at 11:39 AM, Ian Lepore <ian@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 2014-03-14 at 15:27 +0000, RW wrote:
>> A number of people on the questions list have said that they find
>> UFS+SU to be considerably less robust than the journalled filesystems
>> of other OS's. =20
>=20
> What I've seen claimed is that UFS+SUJ is less robust.  That's a very
> different thing than UFS+SU.  Journaling was nailed onto the side of UFS
> +SU as an afterthought, and it shows.

This makes sense to me and I am more willing to believe it than the previous=
 claim. I have yet to see a report of a problem involving soft updates that c=
ould not have been caused by hardware doing something UFS2 SU was not design=
ed to handle, such as a misdirected write. Sadly, such reports lack the deta=
il needed to distinguish between filesystem bugs and hardware errors. Placin=
g UFS2 SU on a ZFS zvol would prevent such failure modes from happening.=