Date:      Wed, 16 Aug 2000 10:52:10 -0500
From:      "Jonathan E. Lyons" <parrothd@midwest.net>
To:        Danny <dannyh@idx.com.au>, FreeBSD.ORG@pop.idx.com.au, "JOHNBLAZE and ai<freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>"@pop.idx.com.au
Subject:   Re: ADSL/ Nat Query

You need to setup PPPoE on FreeBSD, search the FreeBSD handbook, it has all
the info needed, but is down. :(

At 12:01 PM 8/16/00 +1000, Danny wrote:

>- Hello I am hoping to be an early adopter of ADSL in Australia
>
>Situation
>
>- Here are the specifications for end user equipment for ADSL in Australia
>
>Modems using an Ethernet interface will use PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE)
protocol between the modem and the Telstra Access
>                            Server (TAS), and will require Client Software
(Enternet from NTS) to be installed on the PC to allow the Dial Up Networking
>                            (DUN) session to interface with the Ethernet port
>

>,End User Equipment ADSL
>
>                            The computer to be used by the end users may
be a PC or Macintosh.

>                            For PC users the minimum specifications are as
follows:-

>                            Specifications
>                                                         Minimum
>                            Processor
>                                                         Intel Pentium 133
MHz
>                            RAM
>                                                         32MB for Win 95
or 64MB for Win 98 / NT
>                            Hard Disk Space
>                                                         1GB for a new
system or 100MB for just the modem software
>                            Video Memory
>                                                         4Mb
>                            Graphics Card
>                                                         AGP
>                            CD ROM
>
>                            Internet Browser
>
>                            Operating System
>                                                         Windows 95 /
Windows 98 / Windows NT 4.0/Windows 2000
>                            USB Ports
>                                                         Needed for the
USB modem
>                            Ethernet Card
>                                                         Needed if using
ethernet modem
>                            PCI ATM Card
>                                                         Needed if using
internal modem

>Question
>
>-I know it works over the TCP/IP protocol stack so I can use FreeBSD, Linux,
>Mac, etc etc
>
>- On the above item it specifies I need to setup "special client"  software,
>isn't it a matter of binding a IP address to the second ethernet card?
>
>- How would I get that special client software to work on FreeBSD?

Jonathan E. Lyons
FreeBSD, MCSE, A+, CCNA
www.parrothd.com
ICQ # 14226912