Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 15:21:23 +0300
From:      Vallo Kallaste <vallo@matti.ee>
To:        Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@nola.srrc.usda.gov>
Cc:        Christian Kratzer <ck@toplink.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Please comments about SMC 9432TX [Was: Re: 100mbit full-duplex capable card]

On Mon, Aug 09, 1999 at 11:56:32AM +0300, Vallo Kallaste <vallo@myhakas.matti.ee> wrote:

> > So my question to you is, are you running your SMC cards at
> > full-duplex? It could be that they work fine at half-duplex. Also,
> > perhaps you have a newer revision of the card. I remember there was some
> > discussion of a hardware bug that required a work-around in the driver
> > but maybe that was fixed in a later revision. In any event, I am glad
> > that you are happy with your SMC EtherPower II cards. I was not happy
> > with mine and was just responding to the question asked about Fast
> > Ethernet full-duplex cards.
>
> Thanks for your all replies. I haven't got reply from Jason R. Thorpe
> yet unfortunately. I'm going to get one card and play with it. I'm
> almost sure there were problems with tx driver some time ago, hope these
> are fixed now.

I've done some testing. It turned out that the card works well in the HP Brio
but not in my own machine. I tracked it down to the fact that HP Brio BIOS
has option to set bus-master for PCI slots excplicitly whilst my machine BIOS
don't. I have Chaintech CT-6ESA2 board with Award BIOS, don't know which
board the HP has, but it has Phoenix BIOS. Both motherboards have same
chipset, 440LX.
I've disabled the bus-master for PCI slots in the HP BIOS and the card
behaves similarly as in my machine after that.
General symptoms are that link is up, but no packets go over it, sometimes I
can get icmp responses with around 10000ms times, but only two-three
icmp responses appear suddenly after setting the interface to promiscuous
mode (using tcpdump). Two-three responses, then silence. Drop the promiscuous
mode and again two-three icmp responses, then silence. All that means that I
have ping going on all the time.
I remember that some time ago there was something with fxp driver not setting
up bus-master bit programatically, but needs machine BIOS to do that. Can it
be same?
Otherwise the card works. I had 8-hours of netperf running on the both sides
over 100Mbit full-duplex connection (D-link switch). On the other side was
EtherExpress 100+ card. Certainly this is nothing near to usual workload.
The card itself has chipset 83C171A2QF P, not 83C170. Newer, better?
Until now, I haven't had any problems with this card in the HP Brio machine.
--

Vallo Kallaste
vallo@matti.ee