Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 2009 17:57:45 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Arkady Tokaev <tokaev@hotmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Unknown devices

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 12:14:29 +0400, Arkady Tokaev <tokaev@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Fogot to ask. When I login as a root I see invitation
> sign "%", not "#". What it means?

The prompt character shows if you are logged in as root or not.
Most shells use $ or % for non-root, and # for root.

Which shell are you using?

	% echo $SHELL

If you're using the C shell, make sure there's no overriding
setting in your /root/.cshrc that as something like

	set prompt = "%"

in it - this would override the default # sign. The most
convenient form is to use those two lines in /etc/csh.cshrc
in order to make them available globally:

	set promptchars = "%#"
	set prompt = "%n@%m:%~%# "

The first line contains the prompting character for non-root
users first, for root next.

The second line forms a comfortable C shell prompt, containing
the user and the hostname, the current working directory and
the prompt character (automatically depending on root or non-root).
It looks like this:

	user@host:/the/current/path% _

or

	root@mysystem:~# _

The user's home directory is shown as ~ so that the directory
element won't be too long.

Keep in mind that if /root/.cshrc exists and contains different
settings, it will override the global defaults.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany