Date:      Wed, 25 Nov 1998 15:47:48 +0000
From:      John McLaughlin <mclaughj@segasoft.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   CD-ROM/ZIP drive and wedged ATAPI driver

Hi,

	I have an NEC CD-ROM, and IOMEGA ZIP drive attached to the 2nd
IDE controller. Both work fine most of the time, but every so often on
change of CD media the ATAPI driver wedges solid, and the only
apparent solution is a reboot.

	I had this problem about 6 months ago (and saw from the
archives that it's a problem), and disabled the ZIP as I didn't really
need it at that stage. It doesn't occur as frequently now as it used
to (I'm running 2.2-STABLE cvsupped one week ago).

	Is there any way of unwedging the ATAPI driver without
rebooting? Would using the atapi LKM and doing a modunload/modload
help, or cause Bad Things to happen?

Relevant dmesg entries:

wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa
wdc1: unit 0 (atapi): <NEC                 CD-ROM DRIVE:28B/3.05>, removable, dma, iordy
wcd0: 2412/5512KB/sec, 256KB cache, audio play, 256 volume levels, ejectable tray
wcd0: medium type unknown, unlocked
wdc1: unit 1 (atapi): <IOMEGA  ZIP 100       ATAPI/23.D>, removable, intr, iordis
wfd0: medium type unknown (no disk)
wfd0: buggy Zip drive, 64-block transfer limit set

Error message:

Nov 25 15:06:58 jmcl /kernel: atapi1.0: invalid command phase, ireason=0xd1, sta
tus=d1<busy,ready,opdone,check>, error=d1<ili>

	Thanks in advance for any help

John