Date:      Sat, 6 Apr 1996 06:05:41 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      "Åge Røbekk" <aagero@aage.priv.no>
To:        deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ANNOUNCE: xmcd v2.0 CD-audio player (fwd)

| >Yep, ran the script and everything almost got installed correctly. The
| >"deviceInterfaceMethod" was incorrectly set to "1" which is the
| >"SunOS/Linux ioctl method". However, my CD drive is a SONY CDU33A,
| >which might be causing the problems.
|=20
| Yeah, maybe that could cause the problem.  The deviceInterfaceMethod
| should be set to 2 (FreeBSD ioctl method) for your CD-ROM drive, right?

In xmcd, these "features" will _not_ work with the cdu33a:

1) skip to next track
2) get toc
3) playing for more than 57 seconds (therefore no track warp)
4) fast forward
5) displaying time in rest-of-disc format (gives segfault)
6) any volume setting control (known deficiency of the cdu3?a drives)

I've not tried changing the settings in the rscd0c config file, but
these problems seem to be of another nature. The "more than 57
seconds" problem is that sound playback stops exactly after 56 =BD
seconds, at least the 10 or so times I checked. No idea why.

| I'm all SCSI here, so I don't have anything similar I could test with.
| If you can figure something out by looking at the source code and come
| up with a patch, I'll be happy to build you another one to try.

I got hold of a SCSI drive myself, and everything worked just
fine. The "cdcontrol" program does not work with the scd drive
either. Perhaps someone should take a look at the kernel driver, but
thats another problem.

-aage