Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 2014 19:32:09 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Tim Daneliuk <tundra@tundraware.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Followup On Recent MCA Madness.  WAS: Need Help With MCA  Code

On Mon, 10 Feb 2014, Tim Daneliuk wrote:

> On 02/10/2014 03:18 PM, John Baldwin wrote:
>>> On Saturday, February 01, 2014 3:44:07 pm Tim Daneliuk wrote:
> <SNIP>
>
>>> Now, if I could just figure out how to get stock X to
>>> run at 1920x1080 on HD4600 graphics.  Apparently neither the
>>> intel of vesa drivers know how to do this, or at least I've
>>> had no luck with it.  The intel driver doesn't even recognize
>>> the hardware as something it supports.
>>>
>>> "X on a server?" you say?  Yes, for intermittent use of fluxbox
>>> to run a bunch of xterms.
>>
>> For the Intel graphics you want to use i915kms.  However, you need to build
>> your ports with 'WITH_NEW_XORG=yes' set in /etc/make.conf.  There are more
>> details about this on the wiki.
>>
>> https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics

Important note: fourth-generation (Haswell) Intel CPU graphics are not
supported yet.  No idea on a time frame for that.

> I've been considering this, but I have a few more questions, if I may:
>
> - There was a time when the new Xorg stuff did not play well with VTYs.
>  Is this still the case or has it been resolved?

See https://wiki.freebsd.org/Newcons
This has not yet been MFCed to 10-stable, so at present consoles are not
visible after X has been started.  Commands can still be typed, though.

> - If I were to set this option in make.conf, is it sufficient to simply
>  force a recompilation of every port on the machine via portupgrade,
>  or is there a better way?

The better way is shown on the KMS page, a bit farther down:
https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics#Installing_KMS_Ports