Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 1995 13:20:18 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, dennis@etinc.com, julian@freefall.freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FBSD support inc.

> > > Basically it's one of those double-edged swords, like merging with
> > > NetBSD.  A lot of really enticing benefits on the surface but a host
> > > of sticky problems to solve underneath.
> >
> > Like how do you deal with suddenly running on 12 more platforms for
> > nearly free.
>
> No, it's how do you deal with suddenly being forced to do release
> engineering for 12 platforms where one was formerly enough to drive
> the release engineer to early retirement?

By making the administrative interfaces for all system identical, and
by data-driving those areas where it's not possible to resolve the
interface conflicts.

CV: my more recent articles on logical device management in a devfs
framework.

It's an engineering problem, not a management problem.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.