Date:      Sun, 05 Oct 2014 09:30:36 -0700
From:      Carl Johnson <carlj@peak.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: geli not recognizing keyboard

Daniel <nefar@otherware.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I did a fresh install with 10.1-BETA3 yesterday.  I decided to encrypt the
> boot partition using geli (only option given).
>
> The keyboard i have is a USB keyboard. The keyboard works fine in all
> scenarios except for when prompted with the geli password.
>
> http://i.minus.com/ibbw2T5C7Oppp5.jpg
>
> I tried with multiple different keyboards connected. Here's an Apple
> keyboard and a standard PC Roswill keyboard.
>
> There's no response at all from geli.
>
> I tried installing FreeBSD without geli and I had no issues with the
> keyboard to login later during boot. It appears to be a problem with geli.
>
> I do want to have my boot drive encrypted.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas? Suggestions? Money to send me?
>

> Motherboard: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FM4M7TQ

I just realized that I am seeing something similar that might be
related.  I don't use geli, but my usb keyboard isn't recognized until
about halfway through the boot process.  It works for BIOS setup and
after boot, but it doesn't work during the boot menu stage.  I don't
know enough to know what the problem is, but that might help someone
else limit where the problem is.  You might want to try a minimal
installation without geli and see if that is also true for you.  If it
is the same problem, then it has been around for a while since mine is
running 9.1-RELEASE.  My keyboard is actually a wireless usb one, but
that is probably no different than regular usb.

--
Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org