Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 2003 21:32:12 +0100
From:      Piero <piero@poprostu.pl>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>, freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gimp-devel save file

W li=B6cie otrzymanym 21 Feb 2003 15:06:49 -0500 od Joe Marcus Clarke
<marcus@marcuscom.com> :

> On Thu, 2003-02-20 at 19:50, Martin Klaffenboeck wrote:
> >=20
> > When I create a new image with gimp and save it to a file it works=20
> > sometimes and sometimes not.  It does not work saveing an image as
> > png, gif, jpg.  Galeon tells me:  Cannot view this image, because=20
> > of wrong type.
> >=20
> > The last version of gimp-devel has shown a dialog when I was saveing
> > an image to any format where some information gets lost, (i.e.
> > Layers), and asks me how to save the file.   This is missing for
> > png, jpg and gif (maybe all the others too?).
> >=20
> > Is that a FreeBSD problem, or is it from gnome.
>=20
> I can't reproduce this.  Of course, I may not be creating the right
> images.  However, every little crappy drawing I do can be saved as a
> PNG.  If you're doing something more advanced with layers and such,
> perhaps that can't be reduced to a simple PNG.  Maybe it needs to be
> saved as TIFF or something.
>=20
> I'm not sure this kind of problem would be BSD specific.  The port was
> more or less straight-forward.  You might try pinging the Gimp
> developers on this.

PNG, GIF and JPEG do not have layers. TIFF either, TIFF can store
multiple pages though. If you got layers or other information in the
edited image that cannot be saved with the chosen format, you should be
warned about it and instructed to export rather than save. Maybe you try
to force gimp to store the data under wrong extension or so.

---
 Piero
 piero@poprostu.pl