Date:      Thu, 1 Feb 2007 14:01:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      youshi10@u.washington.edu
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Torrent Server

On Thu, 1 Feb 2007, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> [...]

Uhm, the RIAA / MPAA would be retards to track this sort of information--it only would reduce their efficiency.

Thinking that torrents are being used solely to transmit illegal data is a misnomer and incorrect train of thought. There are a number of opensource projects that use torrents to distribute data, just because it exists and it's another means to distributing the data's end.

> It's called guilt by association.

No. That's your take on the situation and other group's take on the situation, which isn't always correct.

> The FreeBSD Beastie was struck from his position as logo for FreeBSD
> for some EXTREMELY minor controversy surrounding religions icons.
> Well, using  a Devil image didn't pirate anyone software or break a law.
> Yet Beastie was axed for exactly the same "guilt by association" reasons.

That's a different can of worms--the BSD symbol is religious symbolism vs whereas torrents and soft "ware" licenses are ethical issues.

> It seems to be EXTREMELY hipocritical to on one hand, strike out Beastie
> for some morons based on a guilt by association reason, then on the other
> hand turn a blind eye to the guilt by association of using a service,
> bittorrent,
> that is extremely heavily used for distribution of pirated software and
> music,
> to distribute FreeBSD.

Read above comments.

-Garrett