Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 2004 00:41:01 -0600
From:      "Adam" <adam@jamradar.com>
To:        "Nikolas Britton" <freebsd@nbritton.org>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RELENG_5 vs. RELENG_5_3

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nikolas Britton" <freebsd@nbritton.org>
To: "Adam" <adam@jamradar.com>
Cc: <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 12:06 AM

> Adam wrote:
>
> >So if I cvsup with RELENG_5, and I'm currently running version 5.3, will
I'll be getting the new code that will eventually become FreeBSD 5.4?

> >If I update with RELENG_5_3, and I'm currently running version 5.3, will
I just get critical updates and security fixes for FreeBSD 5.3?

> >Thanks
> >

> Yes, everything you said is correct.
>
> If you cvsup with RELENG_6 you will be tracking -CURRENT (aka HEAD),
> NEVER! a good idea for a newbie.
>
> If you cvsup with RELENG_5 you will be tracking -STABLE, -STABLE does
> NOT imply the code is "Stable", only that there won't be radical changes
> to the code, that is what -CURRENT is for, I would not recommend
> tracking this for 5.x until it matures a bit more, maybe after 5.4 or
> 5.5-RELEASE and even after it stabilizes tracking -STABLE is not
> recommend for "production systems", Think of it as "Beta" software.
>
> If you cvsup with RELENG_5_3 you will be tracking the -RELEASE branch
> for that -RELEASE, this will get you critical and security updates, this
> is what you want. Also some -RELEASE branches are designated as errata
> fix branches. Then when 5.4 is released you would change it to
> RELENG_5_4 and cvsup to 5.4.
>
> See here for more about Release Engineering:
> http://www.freebsd.org/releng/index.html

With FreeBSD I'm making a webserver (with PHP, Apache, PostgreSQL) for my
pesonal websites and I want it to be "stable" (as in the sense that it's
reliable).  Is FreeBSD 5.3 tracking RELENG_5_3 a good choice for this?  Or
should I go to an earlier version?

Thanks,