Date:      Thu, 2 Jan 1997 17:09:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        leclaire@venus.net, ponds!freefall.cdrom.com!freebsd-hackers
Subject:   Re: timezone stuff (2.2-BETA)

> On Thu, 2 Jan 1997, Timothy Brown wrote:
>
> > Question:
> >
> > Windows 95 boots up.  It tells me the time is proper (9am or whatever).
> > FreeBSD boots up.  It has the CST timezone installed, so it interprets the
> > time at, like, 2am or something.
> >
> > The question is (and I know this is an easy hack, humour me): is this the
> > intended behaviour?
> >
> > If I was just running FreeBSD, this would be fine, but i'm not... I know I
> > can always hack out the timezone stuff, or just install GMT...
> >
> > Am I making any sense?
> >
> > Tim
> >
> > --
> >  Timothy Brown, Web Architect/Network Engineer, ANET-STL
> >  Affiliation given for identification, not representation.
> >  http://www.anet-stl.com/~tbrown/
> >

> I had this problem after upgrading from 2.2-ALPHA to 2.2-BETA.I guess it's
> one of the things the upgrade part of sysinstall isn't "intelligent"
> enough to do. For details, man adjkerntz.
> su
> cd /etc
> touch wall_cmos_clock

 Yes - that seems to be the correct procedure.

 But, sysinstall used to perform it quite nicely (for v2.1.0 - v2.1.6),
 after a little question like "Is your CMOS clock set to local time
 or UMT or Don't care?".  That appears to be the item that's gone missing,
 or isn't working correctly for 2.2-BETA.

	- Dave Rivers -