Date:      Thu, 4 Jan 2001 06:41:27 +0100
From:      freebsd-questions@leonini.ch
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   system management

Hello,

I'm an "old" user of Linux and I'm going to replace Linux by
OpenBSD and/or FreeBSD. I used Linux since two year on web
servers, and I can said that i haven't had real problem
reguarding performance and stability. So i could continue to
use it, but I'm not very satisfyed by the facility of
maintenance.

The problem with Linux is:

1_ There is lot of way to manage software (rpm, deb, source, ...)
and if you use different software manager (like combining source
and
rpm), you have inconsistency in the rpm database. For my server I
generally used source, because the applications I compiled (like
appache-PHP) require a lot of parameters that an rpm can't hold.
And with rpm, you can't easily have multiple instance of a
programm
running.

2_ There is not a simple way to make your system completly
evolving. I mean that is quite impossible to pass from a release X to
a release Y of a distribution with package update only. The main
problem is to update the glibc.

I hope to find in BSD, a way to manage my system more easily. I
think the ports and the CVS can help in that, more than packet
managers in Linux distro.

But, can we really in FreeBSD update a 3.X release to an 4.X or 5.X
doing a CVSUP and then a make world ?

Do you really use "make world" on server, taking the risk of a
potential problem ?

There is a way to configure the system (using a cron job) to get via
CVS the latest release of all the software already installed (and
only the software already installed), and if there is new release to
"make install" them ? (My dream is to do that automatically, like
that I don't need to manually update the system, when there is a
urgent vulnerability, for example.)

Thanks in advance and excuse me for my shit english :)

Leo