Date:      Sun, 27 Sep 1998 22:45:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jan B. Koum " <jkb@best.com>
To:        Joe Gleason <clash@tasam.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Server Stability not good anymore

On Mon, 28 Sep 1998, Joe Gleason wrote:

>You would think that 640mb is exesive, but you have never run a shell server
>then. ;-)
>I do need it.  At 512mb, I was swaping a good 30mb to disk.
>
>Right now, I am agreeing with your conclusion.

	I beg to differ. I have ran a shell server before and still do run
a couple. They might not have as many users/jobs as your server however.
	OTOH, my ISP (best.com) runs heave HEAVE loaded servers. They do
all: shell, web, ftp, telnet, pop, imap, etc. But they are not throwing all
their users into a single system - instead they are putting about 2000
users per box. The boxes are PPro200s with 128MB of RAM. They usually have
150-200 users on line at any time (this is logged in users + pop/imap/web
users) per system. One of their head engineers (who is also a FreeBSD
developer) wrote an article recently for Newsletter #2 about FreeBSD use
in ISP like environment. Check out:
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/newsletter/
	How many users do you have on your system? If it less then 5000
you should be fine with 512 or less MB of ram (unless the all like to run
emacs at the same time *grin*)

-- Yan