Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 1999 18:00:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Did I lose mail?

On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, Roelof Osinga wrote:

> Ludwig Pummer wrote:
> > maxfiles is set to 2*(20+16*MAXUSERS), and MAXUSERS is set in your
kernel
> > config. You can also seperately define MAXFILES using an "options" line in
> > kernel config.
>
> nisser:/usr/src/sys/i386/conf$ grep maxusers FORSETI
> maxusers        10 #32
>
> Ahhh, if only I had activated that :(.
>
> So given your formula, which does ring a bell albeit faintly, that
> would mean MAXUSERS defaults to 10. I can live with that, but I
> think the formula is to weak for interactive GUI use. Tentatively
> I would say it has to be 32 and in our specific case more like 160.

My GENERIC kernel config (3.2-STABLE as of last night) sets maxusers to
32. I have my desktops' maxusers set to 32 or 64.

> Anyway, where is the description of these params if not in LINT? On
> a whim I would say the manual and whaddayaknow a direct hit. It
> even has the same formula although now attributed to the maximum
> number of processes. No trace of MAXFILES though. I'll keep looking
> but any pointers will be appreciated. Even though it'll probably
> be some .h param.

To find MAXFILES, i did "grep -i max *" in the /sys/i386/conf
directory and worked my way up, looking into interesting directories until
I found it in /sys/conf, in param.c and in options.

--Ludwig Pummer ( ludwigp@bigfoot.com )