Date:      Fri, 08 Oct 1999 16:57:43 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   improving NIS speeds

Hi,
	I am in the process of testing to see if NIS is the system for us.  I
havent got into any formal benchmarkings yet, but have noticed some speed
differences.  For example, running top, has a good 3 second delay before it
displays anything. I imagine this is due to the looking up username-UID
maps via NIS.  Are there any optimizations that I can do ?  I am concerned
that if I make this a 20K user pop server, there will be similar delays
each time at authentication time ? Or is it something special about top.  I
ordered the ORA "Managing NIS+NFS" book, but it hasnt arrived yet.  In the
mean time, are there any good online resources I could consult about NIS
optimizations?  Or should I just look at some other system like Kerberos.

	---Mike