Date:      Wed, 14 Jun 2006 05:42:14 +0100 (BST)
From:      Madhavan Srinivasan <maddy_work@yahoo.co.in>
To:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Starting from the Beginning

hi,

   We should understand the architecture(pSeries) better before getting into work.I am in the middle of understanding the boot up code and I guess we may need to replace or remove the code which creates translations using BATs in the boot up code of powerpc.  I am not sure whether they are supported in the newer machines.

M14

Jeff Isaac <cineveggie@gmail.com> wrote: Hi Folks!

I've snooped around these here parts before, but recently I've felt that
it's time for me to try to get serious. A lot of people on these boards
(myself included) want to see platforms other than macppc supported by
the ppc port, namely rs6k/pSeries (<< a big one for me) and Genesi. I
know that the list of requirements for getting these platforms up and
running is long, particularly where the move to 64-bit is concerned, and
quite frankly at this stage, way beyond me, but that's the point of this
email.

If I tried to throw my name into the hat, what would it take for me to
self-train in driver writing, kernel code, and the various other aspects
of the system that need to be built? I'm pretty strong in C++, but I
know that a lot of drivers and other parts of the system are written in
C, so I get the impression that I will pretty much be starting from
square one as far as the actual implementation part goes, even if I
understand the concepts behind the implementation. Any good
books/manuals? I'm usually pretty good at learning from reading source
code. Any particular source files I should print out to start with?

Thanks!
- Jeff