Date:      Tue, 15 Jan 2002 00:43:44 -0800
From:      Brian Sobolak <sobolak@mindspring.com>
To:        Bernie <Bernie_X@myrealbox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mail + news

hi

B> hi, just wonder if u can help me with the following...

B> i'm using freebsd with 56k dialup only (no lan) and i'm
B> using pine to get my mail + news. the problem is that pine
B> does not cache mail + news in the way that other mail clients do.

B> so, if i wanna scroll down etc, it takes long time and i can see
B> it connecting to the remote (imap) mail server.

Don't scroll - use Control-V.  It'll go a lot faster...

B> i posted in the pine group and got a reply saying that i should
B> look into things like fetchmail + leafnode.

If  you  use  myrealbox  as  your  mail  provider, I can tell you from
personal  experience  that  I  didn't  have  any  luck  at all getting
fetchmail  to work with it. It might just be me, but it didn't seem to
work with their servers.

B> because i wanna sort this thing as soon as possible so i can
B> concetrate on other stuff i got in mind, could you give me any
B> advice from your experience?

B> has any of you fixed pine to work with local cashing?

I've followed myrealbox's instructions and have fixed pine so that I
can send mail, but I use something else for reading (read on)

B> which mail + news clients do you use?

The best terminal based mail program I've seen to date is the vm
package for emacs.  It's not hard to configure, it has some very
advanced features, and will solve your problem as it caches mail
locally (I don't believe the pine does).

http://www.wonderworks.com/vm/

Can't comment about news - haven't tried any.

brian

--
Got work?                      http://www.planetshwoop.com/resume/
This is how I think:           http://www.planetshwoop.com/blog/