Date:      Thu, 22 Jul 1999 13:33:05 +1200 (NZST)
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>
To:        Barbara Scott <barbls@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Questions

On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, Barbara Scott wrote:

> I had set up the partition map for the UNIX slices as 40 MB for
> /, 180 MB for swap and 500 for /usr.  I had requested the GNOME desktop
> environment during the initial installation, along with the DES security
> package.

Your / partition size is way, *WAY* too small, since it has to hold
/tmp as well as /var information on it. You basically haven't got
enough space to hold temporary files to do anything big. You could
possible add a /var and/or /tmp partition on; or resize everything to
one big / partition.

Don't worry about /proc. It doesn't chew up any disk space; it's a
pseudo-filesystem.

Cheers.

Jonathan Chen