Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 2014 12:39:12 +0100
From:      Gary Jennejohn <gljennjohn@gmail.com>
To:        Velcro Leaf <velcroleaf@rocketmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-usb@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-usb@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: consistent, functional 1TB usb drive?

On Tue, 4 Mar 2014 02:56:40 -0800 (PST)
Velcro Leaf <velcroleaf@rocketmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 3/4/14, Velcro Leaf <velcroleaf@rocketmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tuesday, February 18, 2014 1:13 AM, Hans Petter Selasky <hps@bitfrost.no> wrote:
> >> Are any of the USB devices you have bought so-called "USB certified", carry a USB logo and are registered by usb.org?
> > Any suggestions for buying one these things to use? Anyone have an experience with one they can recommend?
>

> Although, I suppose the more important question is...even if
> something is "USB certified", is it REALLY going to work?
>
> Just because it SHOULD work, WOULD it work?  If all certified
> means is that I theoretically could win a prolonged debate with
> either FreeBSD contributors or the drive manufacturer, then it
> hardly matters.  Being right on the Internet is worth less than
> nothing.
>
> I just want to buy half a dozen self-powered USB drives and
> have them work with multiple architectures (i386 and amd64)
> using the same recent, stable version of FreeBSD.  Any advice
> to help me accomplish this goal?

I have two 1TB USB3 external drives from Toshiba (laptop drives in a
plastic enclosure) which work with both FreeBSD and Windows7.

Since they're USB3 there's no problem with powering them.  Transfer
rates on the order of 90 MB/s.

Here's what's on the sticker:

www.toshibastorage.com
v63700-C 1TB
P/N: HDTB110EK3BA

Don't know whether these are still available.  Seems to me I bought
them cheap on eBay or amazon.

--
Gary Jennejohn