Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 2000 00:35:16 +0100
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@eboa.com>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RC1 install size

Jordan Hubbard wrote:

> Erm, I guess the practice of providing details has fallen out of
> fashion or something since I still have NO IDEA what you are referring
> to.  How is it incomplete?  What is missing?  I am looking at the
> image here, for example, and I see a full set of OS bits, a full
> XFree86 distribution, a full set of packages, etc.  If you could be
> more specific about just how and where it is "incomplete", we might
> start getting somewhere.

Yeah I know. I sorta checked the FTP sites to see if they were
present before I dived in. The thing about details is that there
are so many of them. And no way to discern which are important
and which trivial.

Hence I gave a sample of available details. Enough to show my
point, I trusted <g>. Since this is a RC I did it like any
end user would. Generated the floppies, booted from them, went
through the simple install options and ordered to install *all*.
Something I've done before with satisfactory results.

Not so this time. Though I got a ports listing during the install
I didn't bother with it at the time. Afterwards there was no
/usr/ports dir.tree. Instead of the expected 46 or so games in
/usr/games there was but the one, a thing called hide.

No /usr/X11R6 directory either. But, like I said, no /usr/src/README
also. Though I've installed a couple of R4's I usually work with R3.
Worse, I do not currently have access to a R4. So I can't know
what is normal for a R4 versus a R4. Maybe /usr/X11R6 has moved, I
don't know. Hence no details.

But you should be able to tell what is amiss when I provide:

/usr % ls ports
ls: ports: No such file or directory
/usr % ls src
crypto          kerberos5       kerberosIV      secure
/usr %

what meager details I'm able to provide.

As to the practice of providing details falling out of fashion,
guess so. After all, you didn't provide details of what details
you would like to see. As from my point of view, details are
irrelevant given the RC status.

Given the procedure stated several of the directories stated
should not be empty. What more is there to know? The exact
specs of my NICs perhaps? The details of the route from my
box to the NL mirror? The dir.listing of said mirror?

Tell you what, I'll wipe and do the procedure with 4.1.1-RELEASE
and see what gives. At least then I'll be able to provide the
details of the /usr/port with the current release <g>.

I'm not making this up. This is a RC being tested as if it
were a regular release. Notifying the discrepancries observed.
Is all. I know it's furiating but there it is <g>.

Roelof

--
Dog's Palace http://cairni.com/