Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 2002 01:58:42 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1015747123.7c69ec@mired.org>
To:        David Herman <ob1@yifan.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I bought your system and am not so happy!

David Herman <ob1@yifan.net> types:
> Some background, I have used an Amiga since 1992. I like mice, (I'm a hunt
> and peck typist). When my wife got fed up w/ her mac and made me buy a m$ pc
> I purchased mandrake 7.0 even before we got he m$ box home.

I bought my first one in '86, and kept on using them until '98, when I
switched to FreeBSD.

> There was nothing that I ever read that said, "Just go do it, This will
> replace windows and the mac. Nothing will go wrong and you won't need to
> learn anything."

Good. That's not something that should be said.

> Now the good news. I finally did get freeBSD running. I believe all of my
> problems came down to a combination of 2 things,

Congratulations.

> 1) xfree86 still has a way to go as far as being easy to set up.
> 	I kept thinking this was the source of my failures.

FYI, xfree86 is not part of FreeBSD.

> 2) There was nothing to warn me that choosing high security (rather than
> moderate) in sysinstall would keep the xserver from being able to start.
> THIS WAS A BUGGER.

Security levels is a recent addition to the install process. And yes,
this one is a bugger. That needs to be added to the
documentation. Please feel free to use send-pr - there's a man page
for it - to suggest that the text in the installation process be
changed to note this.

For that matter, the last time I checked the init page, *it* didn't
say anything about it either. Not good. I may fix that one, except I'm
not sure exactly what else breaks.

> Anyway all is well, I look forward to a more "Desktop" related distribution
> but by the time it arrives I hope I won't need it.

That's actually a sticky subject. The install process *has* to be able
to run over a serial line.

	<mike