Date:      Thu, 1 Oct 1998 09:47:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        remy@synx.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ahc & CAM: strange diagnostic

On Thu, 1 Oct 1998, David Kelly wrote:

> Remy NONNENMACHER writes:
> > > I just replaced a Barracuda 9GB disk with an IBM 18G and the drive
> > > is very much cooler. I will put some IBM 10K 9G in later tonight.
> > >

> > I've 6 of them along with 2 Atlas and the 9G 10K IBM are really going
> > hot (in all meaning of the word :)). An interesting thing is that they
> > feature a temp. probe that can be read through status pages.
> > Environmental 21 deg.C give a 35/37 deg.C internal temp.
>
> Any details as to how we too might be able to play with the temperature
> status probe you mention? My 7.2k 9G IBM drive might support it too.

It's on mode page 0, somewhere :)  Someone needs to grab the software
interface so we can add the variable names to mode_pages.  That or a
secret-ring-decoder for the bytes returned by 'camcontrol modepage -m 0'.

My UltraStor 9ES 4Gig UltraWide (DDRS-34560W)[1] doesn't appear to support
it, according to the IBM specs. A link to the feature's technote
(Drive-TIP) shows up for the 18XL (10krpm, 9 & 18GB sizes).  They even
show the chip location on the back side of the hard disk controller board.
(out of view of course)

> I have a digital indoor/outdoor thermometer mounted on my case. Probe
> is taped to the HD. Its running 38C now, 11C over the external
> temperature of the PC's case.

We really need to figure out how to read the BIOS hardware moitor port on
ATX MB's.  IT'd be a great thing to stick on the MtraixOrbital LCD
displays :)

Doug White

[1]  Kudos to Toshiba for replacing the Crapopolis with such a nice drive.
:)