Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 1996 15:04:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Neill Thornton <neillt@realgoods.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NIS questions...

I am having problems with NIS entries in the passwd files being used
during the login process, i.e. someone will try to log in to the BSD
machine (which is an NIS client) and it will deny them access.  I tried
reading all the man pages on yp/NIS that FreeBSD has, but they aren't
offering any suggestive clues.  Here is the setup:

Server: IBM RS/6000 running AIX 3.12.
Client: Pentium running FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE

You can ypcat the passwd table while on the machine, and get the entries
off of the RS/6000:

elwood# ypcat passwd | tail
debra:Huxb5kAAKsLVA:267:1:Debra Dix:/u/users/debra:/bin/ksh
chris:JXs9FFc7YFIxM:206:1:Christine Christensen:/u/users/chris:/bin/ksh
nena:4Oe0KyYJalgY2:235:1:Nena Burgess:/u/users/nena:/bin/ksh
nayo:CnEfeHIZYmDeA:295:1:Nayo Sicard:/u/users/nayo:/bin/ksh
mark:MbL3ad6vhWbLs:319:1:Mark Winkler:/u/users/mark:/bin/ksh
jill:ByRGgbDXuFvaQ:241:1:Jill Miller:/u/users/jill:/bin/ksh
bill:fE.2Rx3wBipkM:226:1:Bill Simmons:/u/users/bill:/bin/ksh
tom:HjwN6S/yocJOc:224:1:Tom Moen:/u/users/tom:/bin/ksh
ann:h6pM7HaKJ8uIs:287:1:Ann Dutra:/u/users/ann:/bin/ksh

and I have the following entry at the end of my /etc/master.passwd:

+:::::::::

which (after vipw) put this in the /etc/passwd

+:*:0:0:::

but when a user tries to log in, they get:

jake: {10}telnet elwood
Trying...
Connected to elwood.realgoods.com.
Escape character is '^]'.

   FreeBSD (elwood.realgoods.com) (ttyp0)

login: tester
Password:
Login incorrect
login:

I am wondering if the entries in the passwd tables are screwed up, or if
FreeBSD just does not like AIX...  any help or clues would be appreciated.

TIA

Neill

--
Neill Thornton
Network Administator, Real Goods Trading Corp.