Date:      Wed, 13 May 1998 07:35:00 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        "Yarema" <yds@ingress.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp doesn't accept any incoming traffic under load

> I've been trying to get ppp to work under 2.2.6 for some time now. The
> behavior I'm experiencing is I can connect and authenticate to various ISP
> accounts I have. I can ping a remote machine indefinitely and name
> resolution works fine. As soon as  try to download something I stop
> receiving any incoming packets. The link remains up and outgoing packets
> continue to be sent. I've chiseled down my ppp.conf and ppp.linkup scripts
> to be functionally identical to the samples provided. I installed the
> precompiled ppp binaries from Brian's page. The same hardware works very
> reliably under linux/pppd. Also I've had this machine working very reliably
> under FreeBSD-current with the same ppp configuration. Now it just keeps
> laughing at me. help...

You could try `show mem' from a diagnostic port to see if ppp is
receiving packets and not doing anything with them.  You could also
try `enable lqr'.  It works in the latest ppp.  If your ISP accepts
QUALPROTO requests (LQR), you can enable LQM logging to see what sort
of quality the link is (you'll need to read the rfc to understand the
numbers - sorry).  If your ISP doesn't accept QUALPROTO requests,
enable LCP logging and you'll see ECHO LQRs being sent to the other
side.  All [ECHO] LQRs should be replied.  All duplicate [ECHO] LQRs
*MUST* be replied to - otherwise the other side is dead.

Assuming the other side is still alive, you can enable async logging
to see data being read & written to the serial device.  If it's being
written and nothings being read, then your ISP needs to be involved
on the other side doing the same thing....

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;