Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 2002 17:27:29 +0100 (CET)
From:      Harti Brandt <brandt@fokus.gmd.de>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, <arch@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Increasing the size of dev_t and ino_t

On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Garance A Drosihn wrote:

GAD>At 10:47 AM +0100 3/11/02, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
GAD>>(Sorry, I confused st_dev and st_rdev earlier).
GAD>>
GAD>>Ok, I think we are on the same page now.
GAD>>
GAD>>I don't think any of the stuff headed for -current would give
GAD>>you trouble in this respect.  Just because we _can_ assign a
GAD>>random st_dev doesn't mean we will shoot ourselves in the foot
GAD>>by doing so :-)
GAD>
GAD>Given what we (RPI) have with our present AFS cell, I am not
GAD>sure how easy it will be to do this.  If you follow my previous
GAD>description of AFS, you realize that RPI (by itself) has over
GAD>33,000 unique AFS volumes.  We also have users who will touch
GAD>a large percentage of those volumes by typing in a single 'find'
GAD>command.  If FreeBSD comes up with a unique random number for
GAD>each volume as it is referenced, and it has to cache all the
GAD>mappings between unique-numbers and AFS-volumes (so it can
GAD>tell when the same AFS volume is found at a different pathname
GAD>in AFS space), then that strikes me as an unwieldy situation.

I suppose the AFS volumes themself have some kind of unique identifier,
otherwise there would be no way to tell that you are mounting the same
volume in different places, there wouldn't even be the notion of 'the same
volume'. Given that, it should be simple to map between those AFS volume
identifiers and st_dev's. How this mapping is done depends on the kind of
the volume id. If you have 33,000 mounts in you system, adding a uint32_t
to each of these mounts will not be your main problem.

harti
--
harti brandt, http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/cats/employees/hartmut.brandt/private
              brandt@fokus.fhg.de