Date:      Wed, 2 Aug 2000 15:36:04 -0400
From:      Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>
To:        Erin <Kahn@deadbbs.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Secondary BIND server.

On Wed, Aug 02, 2000 at 12:17:46PM -0700, Erin wrote:
> Does anyone have some sugestions on how I would go about getting my
> secondary DNS server to automatically setup the secondary domain when I put
> it in the primary DNS server.
>
> Is there any software that already does this?

Yes, BIND. :)

If all of these are true:

- your primary server's zone file lists both your name servers in the SOA
- your primary server's been told it's master for that zone
- your slave server's been told it's a slave for that zone (and
  who the master is)

Then when you start the secondary server up, it will automatically
get the zone file from the primary.

If you modify the zone, the primary will notify the secondary of
the change, and the secondary will get a new copy of the zone file.

This does mean that you inform have to infrom both servers of the
domain in question.  If you have a fluid set of domains, your new
question becomes 'how can I propegate changes to my named.conf
file?'.

--
Brian 'you Bastard' Reichert		reichert@numachi.com
37 Crystal Ave. #303			Daytime number: (603) 434-6842