Date:      Wed, 19 Jan 2000 10:24:52 -0600 (CST)
From:      Don Read <dread@calcasieu.com>
To:        Sean Noonan <snoonan@cx952600-a.fed1.sdca.home.com>
Cc:        noonans@home.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: time sync problem--ntpdate AND xntpd??

On 19-Jan-00 Sean Noonan wrote:
> Dear list:
>
> I have a home RFC1918 net linked to the world via a FreeBSD 3.4-RELEASE
> gateway/NAT/IPFW box.  I'm tired of my clocks being off by hours from each
> other so I did some research and discovered NTP.
>
> I found NTP clients for my Novell and M$ boxen.  I figured I'd use ntpdate
> on my FreeBSD workstations.  I also figured I'd use ntpdate **AND** xntpd
> on my gateway/NAT/IPFW box.  That way, I figured, my gateway/firewall box
> would get the time from a reliable time source and then the rest of my
> boxes would look to it for their time source.  Sounded good.
>
> Until I read this in man ntpdate:  "Ntpdate will decline to set the date
> if an NTP server (e.g. xntpd(8)) is running on the same host".
>
> So, what should I do?  It didn't/doesn't make sense to me to have all of
> my worksatations use internet bandwidth to check time; better to have one
> check the time and the the rest get their time from it.
>
> What am I missing, conceptually?  What are my alternatives?  Is their a
> NTP proxy I could run on my firewall?

at boot run ntpdate to set your clock, then xntpd to keep in sync.

/etc/rc.conf:
-------------------
ntpdate_enable="YES"
ntpdate_program="ntpdate"
ntpdate_flags="tick.usno.navy.mil tock.usno.navy.mil"
xntpd_enable="YES"
xntpd_program="xntpd"

/etc/ntp.conf:
-------------------
server ntp.psi.net
server chisos.ots.utexas.edu
server norad.arc.nasa.gov
peer   my.local.boxen.com

driftfile   /etc/ntp.drift

Regards,
---
Don Read                                           dread@calcasieu.com
EDP Manager                                            dread@texas.net
Calcasieu Lumber Co.                                         Austin TX
-- No Coffee No Peace.