Date:      Wed, 06 Feb 2008 08:40:59 -0600
From:      Derek Ragona <derek@computinginnovations.com>
To:        "Rudi Kramer - MWEB" <rkramer@mweb.com>, <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Host interface resetting - Asus nx 1101 (stge)

At 12:11 AM 2/6/2008, Rudi Kramer - MWEB wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I recently purchased a Asus NX 1101 nic for a intel pc I have at home.
>The motherboard is a intel gigabyte GA-8I945GMF and I'm running FreeBSD
>6.3 RELEASE.
>
>The card is correctly using the stge driver but whenever I try and bring
>the interface up I get the following message " host interface error
>resetting" repeated over and over again and I have to reboot the server.
>
>I tested the card on an AMD gigabyte board (K8M800-8237), also running
>FreeBSD 6.3 and the card runs perfectly.
>
>I checked dmesg and also /var/logl/message and I couldn't find anything
>useful, any ideas?
>
>Rudi

Rudi,

Since you are having this problem on one motherboard but not the other, I
would try other slots on the problematic motherboard.  Usually some PCI
slots have different capabilities (besides 32 bit vs 64 bit) as some will
allow busmastering as one example.  Check the card specs against your
motherboard specs for the slots.  Also some PCI cards may need irq
assignment, some motherboards let you set these, while others make these
assignment automatically through some implementation of plug-and-play.

         -Derek

believed to be clean.