Date:      Fri, 06 Mar 1998 19:31:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        karl@mcs.net, tlambert@primenet.com, dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk, wilko@yedi.iaf.nl, julian@whistle.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.at, (Chuck Robey) <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Subject:   Re: SCSI Bus redundancy...

On 07-Mar-98 John S. Dyson wrote:
> Chuck Robey said:
>>
>> Of course, their equipment does largely run on 48V nominal (which
>> usually
>> means around 55-56 V in fact, else the battery plant'd not ever get
>> charged).  Getting buzzed with 48V is nothing, even with 1500 Amps
>> behind
>> it, I've been bitten countless times.  Ringing battery is _much_ more
>> painful!  Old style teletype, at polar +- 130V, would _really_ wake you
>> up (thank god that was interrupted).
>>
> Getting buzzed isn't the problem with 48V and mega-amps.  It is any kind
> of metal jewelery melting and burning off skin :-(.

We knew to take off all jewlery.  The killer was the dog-tags.  You stayed
for a qhile in the hospital after one of these evaporated around your nexk.
I witnessed the aftermath of a Phillips #2 screwdriver dropping someplace
it should not.  Quite a site.

A switching center here in town is using surplus submarine batteries.
There are sealed and lay on their side, so they are not as sparky as the
old open cells.